Pages

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Picture Book Report

I'm a big fan of this great project set up by Meg Hunt.

"Picture Book Report is an extended love-song to books. Fifteen illustrators will reach out to their favorite books and create wonderful pieces of art in response to the text that has moved them, shaped them, or excited them. From sci-fi to children’s books to fantasy to serious novels, we’ll cover them all. For three weeks out of every month there will be a new illustration every day from one of us along with our thoughts, process, anything we can come up with. Together we will try to excite readers both new and old and capture some of that magic of storytelling."

Its a great concept and has inspired me to have stab at a similar attempt myself.  I sat down in front of our large bookcases at the weekend, scanning the book spines and had a good think about what story would be fun to illustrate. It was a difficult job, there are so many great tales I'd love to draw. In the end I went for "The Enchanted Wood" by Enid Blyton. Not only because it was one of my favourite books when I was a child but also because it lends itself very well to a good mix of different images. Not quite sure of the style I'll go for or if they will be hand drawn or digital but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

As per the official Picture Book Report I'll try to stick to a monthly routine, though I've noticed that unfortunetly due to other commitments a few people have fallen behind and a couple of people have had to drop out early.

Good work to Meg for keeping it all running and for coming up with such a great idea in the first place.

Check out the site for all the great images. Below are a few of my favourites so far.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - P Murphy
The Hobbit - Sam Bosma

The Never Ending Story - Chuck Groenink

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...